In This Issue...
- A Theology of Humor by Cheryl Taylor
- Ministering With Humor by Stephanie Nance
- Christian Leaders Having Fun? by Pam Morton with Kathy Jingling
- The Health Benefits of Humor and Laughter by Dwenda Gjerdingen, MD, MS
Resources for Connect to Grow Spiritual Formation in the Context of Community
Spiritual Transformation Programs:
The 7th Year. The 7th Year is a dream answer for life groups and Jesus-followers searching for 52 weeks of meaningful spiritual-formation-focused content, reflection, and discussion.
Leadership Investment Intensives. Through retreats, intensives, practicums, and spiritual direction, Leadership Investment Intensives (Lii) create "quiet places" and practically equip leaders in the church and marketplace to discover new, sustainable rhythms of spiritual health and rest.
Transforming Center. The heart of our ministry is the 2-year Transforming Community® experience designed to provide you as a pastor or Christian leader with a safe place to be honest about the challenges of spiritual leadership, to experience rhythms of solitude, prayer and community, and to deepen your understanding of leadership that flows from your transforming self.
- Created for Community: Connecting Christian Belief with Christian Living by Stanley J. Grenz. Ada, Michigan: Baker Academic, 1998.
- Foundations of Spiritual Formation: A Community Approach to Becoming Like Christ by Paul Pettit. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Kregel, 2008.
- Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. New York, New York: HarperOne, 1978.
- The Connecting Church: Beyond Small Groups to Authentic Community by Randy Frazee. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing, 2001.
- The Good and Beautiful Community: Following the Spirit, Extending Grace, Demonstrating Love by James Bryan Smith. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP Books, 2010.
- Pursuing God's Will Together: A Discernment Practice for Leadership Groups by Ruth Haley Barton. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP Books, 2012.
- Spiritual Friendship by Mindy Caliguire. Downers Grove, Illinois: IVP Connect, 2007.
- "Christians Grow in Groups" by Billie Davis. Rooted in their need not to be lost, people are social beings created to fellowship with God and with each other. A small group is the best soil for development of community and growth.
- "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by John Ortberg. Five practices that take smalls groups beyond polite sharing to the disciplines that change lives. (pdf)